The keto-diet might be a little deterring, but there are endless varieties that you can eat while following a low carb diet. Luckily, just everything you like- from spicy Indian food to the cheesy Italian, sour bites to super sweet- you can eat anything when on a keto diet!
However, the initial weeks on keto can be quite challenging, but once you are used to it, the unnecessary cravings will automatically dwindle and you will have to opt for keto meals from sweetandsprouted in the best way possible on your roaster.Read More
Foods You Can Eat
Here is a complete list of the low-carb foods you can eat while on a keto diet:
- Fish and Other Seafood: Seafood is rich in Vitamin B and Potassium. It is also protein enriched and free from carbs. Fishes like Salmons, Sardines, and tuna are known to boost the levels of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega 3 effectively lowers blood sugar levels and increases the sensitivity of insulin.
- Cheese: It has zero carbs and is quite high in terms of fat. This makes cheese a great food for a ketogenic diet. Cheese is also protein and calcium-enriched. However, a one-ounce slice of cheese provides you with 30% of daily value when we talk about saturated fat.
- Eggs: These are high in protein, mineral, and antioxidants. Two eggs tend to contain zero carbs and around 12 gms of protein. They are also known to trigger hormones that helps you feel full and makes your sugar levels stable.
- Portion of Berries: Berries are quite rich in antioxidants that further reduces the inflammation and helps to boost your metabolism. They are low in carbohydrates and high in fibre. Below are the carb counts for half a cup of berries:
- Blackberries: 7gms of carbs
- Blueberries: 11gms of carbs
- Strawberries: 6gms of carbs
- Raspberries: 6-7 gms of carbs
- Avocados: Avocados are high in mono-unsaturated fat as well as potassium- Happily choose heart-healthy fat! When consuming half of a medium fruit tends to contain 9gms of total carbohydrates, 7gms of fibres- which is quite high.
- Low Carb Vegetables: Non-starchy vegetables contain low calories and carbs. Somehow, they are high in nutrients such as Vitamin C and other minerals. Such veggies are antioxidant-enriched that effectively protect your cell from getting damaged. Try adding Broccoli, Green Beans, Bell Peppers, and Spinach to your diet- as they are the best for keto diets.
Foods You Must Avoid
Try avoiding the following food when on a keto diet:
- High Carb or Starchy vegetables and Fruits: High-carb vegetables contain less fiber and should be restricted when searching for keto food online. This also includes food like potatoes, sweet potatoes, beetroots, and corn. Try to limit the sugary fruits as well like bananas, raisins, dates, mangoes, and pears. Such foods tend to spike your blood sugar more quickly when compared to berries and others.
- Packet or Preserved Juice: Fruit juices both natural and preserved are high in carbs that might spike your blood sugar – Try sticking to water.
- Baked Products: Well, many gluten-free breads as well as muffins contain the highest carbohydrate amounts. Same goes for gluten-free baked products as well. They generally lack in fiber and might increase your sugar levels. One slice of bread contains 11gms of carbohydrates which is quite high in itself!
- Grains: Rice, pulses, pasta, beer, and more are high in carbs. Yes- that wheat pasta you just bought as well! Try consuming the alternative like spiralled vegetables or Shirataki noodles are the healthier options when compared to normal noodles or pastas.
A Seven Day Keto Meal Plan
Below, you will find a quite effective meal plan to start up with- Good Luck with your new ketogenic diet:
- Breakfast: Southwest Omelette with stir Fried Bell Peppers.
- Lunch: Baked-Crispy Salmon with Pesto cauliflower rice.
- Dinner: Creamed Spinach soup or meat.
- Breakfast: Dark Chocolate Pancakes with Blueberries and Green Tea
- Lunch: Keto Tuna/ Chicken Salad.
- Dinner: Low Carb Keto Meat
- Breakfast: Keto egg Muffins or scrambled eggs.
- Lunch: Green Beans salad with 2tbsp olive oil.
- Dinner: 1 Mocha Choco Chip Cookie.
- Breakfast: Keto cereal bowl
- Lunch: Crispy cheese Chicken or Salmon Salad
- Dinner: Mixed leafy greens with avocado or Ribeye steak- 4oz
- Breakfast: Fresh fruits with Avocado.
- Lunch: Pan Roasted Chicken.
- Dinner: Broccoli Soup or meatballs.
- Breakfast: Almond Butter Smoothie or One Glass of Almond milk-unsweetened.
- Lunch: Cucumber Rolls or Zucchini noodles.
- Dinner: Creamy Mushroom and Chicken.
- Breakfast: Keto boost coffee.
- Lunch: one cup steamed chicken breast with Broccoli.
- Dinner: Low-Carb Lasagne.
Well, it is crucial to work with a professional dietitian to ensure you are getting the required nutrients while maintaining a Keto diet online. However, there is promising research in terms of the benefits of a keto diet. Somehow, many people cannot keep it up with for the long term. If you decide to go for a keto try to consult a professional to create the right diet plan.